Invented by Erno Rubik in 1974, Rubik’s cube has been of significant importance in the world of toys. With thousands of benefits and upcoming variants, Rubik’s cube has made a unique place for itself in the lives of children.
This great toy is not just a toy but way beyond it. Made not exactly for a child’s play, a Rubik’s cube has great significance today. This interesting and innovative toy has a great history and idea behind it that led it to become one of the best selling toys in history.
Rubik’s cube is said to be invented not for the purpose of playing but for the purpose of explaining three-dimensional figures in architecture. Erno Rubik, the inventor of Rubik’s cube was an architect by profession and he wanted to make his students understand spatial figures in three-dimensional environments, and it was then when he came up with the idea of the Rubik’s cube. Interestingly, It took almost a month for Erno Rubik to solve his own invention.
In one of the interviews, Erno Rubik tells his audience about the making of the Rubik’s cube, stating that there are twenty-seven parts in a Rubik’s cube of which only twenty-six are visible. The one part of it in the middle of the Rubik’s cube is not visible on the exterior of the cube. Moreover, he also mentioned that there are more than forty-three quintillion probable combinations in which the Rubik’s cube could be solved. Mind-blowing right?
As we all know, the invention of this magnificent object opened the door to a whole arena of educational toys. Today, the market is flooded with every kind of educational toy that one could imagine. Some toys guarantee good grades in science and maths, some toys enhance a child’s ability to experiment with science, some games could improve a child’s linguistic skills and whatnot. But despite the expansion of the toy world, Rubik’s cube still remained one of the most wanted and beloved toys in history.
Simple yet complex, a Rubik’s cube has several reasons which keep it on top of the list of best-selling toys.
Let’s look at some of the facts around Rubik’s cube which led it to become one of the best selling toys in history.
- Rubik’s cube was initially called a magic cube as given by its inventor Erno Rubik. Moreover, it wasn’t invented for the purpose of a toy but educational purposes.
- It was launched commercially in 1980 as a Rubik’s cube and was taken up by Ideal Toy company and Toy marketer. It instantly became a hit and was sold overnight. Surprisingly, The inventor of the Rubik’s cube said that it was a shock to see it becoming a success as he didn’t expect the response.
- After the success of Rubik’s cube, it was featured in many television shows, and gradually a whole world championship was held in the name of a Rubik’s cube. Felik Zemdegs set the first world record in May 2018 of solving the Rubik’s cube the fastest. He solved the Rubik’s cube in 4.22 seconds. These championships offer great prizes to their winners in the form of money and sometimes even jewels.
- With its championships coming in place, Rubik’s cube got a lot of attention from the young population. People started coming up with blogs and videos and thus started making money indirectly with Rubik’s cube.
- The benefits of a Rubik’s cube are vast. From increasing the problem-solving skills to increasing the dexterity and agility of the fingers. Moreover, it also helps in improving the cognitive ability of children and adults.
- Rubik’s cube was a sensational toy in history, as it was the first of its kind and possessed great challenge to the human mind. After all, who doesn’t like a good challenge right?
- A Rubik’s cube not only targeted children but also targeted adults, thus becoming more popular in its arena.
A Rubik’s cube received a lot of great appreciation and acclamation in its time. Even today despite having several variations and a whole cube family, Rubik’s cube still tops the list of being the most popular and evergreen bestseller.
Young or old, Children or adults, everyone has, at least once in their lifetime, tried their hands on this awesome cube. Some have been able to solve it while some are still trying to figure it out. A Rubik’s cube has definitely had an era of its own.
The world has progressed in ways unknown, technology has advanced and things have become just a click away, yet the idea of solving a Rubik’s cube, no matter how old-school. Still feels like a challenge and an exhilarating adventure. It is great to say that even today the advanced and great benefits of Rubik’s cube are still being taken advantage of.
Hands down one of the best toys ever to play with, Rubik’s cube is a golden toy.
Aranya Agarwal is a contributor at Walnut Folks pvt. ltd. She is a graduate student in Sociology and has an ardent interest in writing about different cultures and travelling experiences. She is a keen promoter of minimalism and tries to be sustainable in her lifestyle as much as possible.